My NURAP Journey

I joined Northwestern University as Financial Assistant in March 2014. I came with over seven years of experience in grants management for several different non-profit organizations, and I thought I knew it all. I assumed grants rules and concepts would be the same, and I saw myself as a “grants pro” making a great step in my career, joining academia. Until my second week of training, when I discovered all different rules and regulations that applied to higher education institutions, and when I had to reset my brain on various concepts of grants management (in non-profits, for example, it was a standard to budget for office supplies, and here I came with “absolutely no office supplies” rule). I felt overwhelmed. I had to re-learn, put my ego aside, and find ways to maneuver through new knowledge. My colleague, who was an enormous resource and supporter in my initial journey, advised me to join NURAP. We were both financial assistants, taking walks every month to NURAP@noon lectures. Those monthly events were not only helping me learn about federal rules, Northwestern policies, and things that did not apply to me at that moment (such as proposal preparation). They were crucial in expanding my network, making friends, learning about different roles and work at other departments. I felt supported. I felt and knew I was not alone, I knew I had resources and people I could count on when having questions or looking for advice.

FY20 NURAP Steering Committee

FY20 NURAP Steering Committee

A year later, I joined NURAP CRA Study Group. I was not research administration yet at that time, and did not consider taking CRA exam, but I thought the study group was a great opportunity to learn even more, and connect with other folks within Northwestern. Eventually, I was promoted to RA role and took the exam (and I admit, I would not pass if I had not participated in the study group).

After one of the meetings, Maura, a colleague research administrator, approached me and asked if I would like to join NURAP Steering Committee. She suggested I had always had many good ideas, and I could benefit NURAP and research administration community. I felt honored for being invited, but also hesitant. I did not believe I was capable of serving on the Steering Committee for such animportant group. After all, I had been in academia grants management for only a little over a year – I did not feel experienced enough. The more I learned, the more there was to learn, and I was afraid I was not in a position to be part of NURAP Leadership group. But Maura, and several other members, were able to convince me.

FY21 NURAP Steering Committee

FY21 NURAP Steering Committee

I served on Programming Subcommittee for a year and helped organizing NURAP@noon events. It was a great experience in meeting colleagues from other departments and Chicago Campus. It was inspiring to see their spirit, engagement, and devotion to strengthening the research administration community.

After that one fruitful year, Nathan, NURAP President, asked if I was interested in serving as Secretary on NURAP Executive Committee. Once again, I did not feel I was experienced and knowledgeable enough to take another step up within NURAP leadership. But seeing the enthusiasm in people eager to support the community, I could not say no. Overall, I served as NURAP Secretary for four years, and had an opportunity to serve as Vice President/Treasurer for one year.

FY22 NURAP Steering Committee

FY22 NURAP Steering Committee

This is my sixth and final year on NURAP Steering Committee. During those six years, I have met so many wonderful people, from different departments, units, campuses… We were exchanging ideas, sharing experiences, looking forward to support and engage our research administration community. I absolutely loved the spirit and energy within all Steering Community Members, and I was especially thankful for meeting peers from another Campus, and learning about their experiences. I would not have that opportunity if I was not part of NURAP leadership.

During those past six years I was truly inspired by my colleagues’ enthusiasm. NURAP Steering Committee is the place to share, learn, support and be supported, listen and be heard. It is a place where you know and feel you are making an impact on the larger community. I will miss being part of the leadership, but am looking forward to see how NURAP continues to grow.

By: Marysia Galent, CRA, Senior Research Administrator, School of Communication